Welcome back for another Top Ten Tuesday! This is definitely one of our favorite things to participate in and something we are constantly keeping up to date with. It’s so fun to list various things we like/dislike about books and what we are looking forward to. It’s also SUPER fun to talk to other book lovers, like yourself, about these things.
This week we are talking about things that we see (either in a synopsis, comparison, or while starting to read it) that instantly turn us off to a book. It could be something super small and stupid in the end, but sometimes that’s what ends it for us.
So, what are some things that make us not want to read a book?
- Comparisons to Twilight. We did our time with Twilight. We loved it for awhile, now we don’t. Any Twilight comparisons really have us looking the other way.
- Love Triangles. Sometimes we stick these out. Sometimes they are well written and make sense. But normally it’s a hard pass.
- When a series goes on for too long. Too many books in the world, not enough time.
- Blatant racism. There’s a difference between showing us what the issues are (or were in the case of some historical fictions) and being outright racist.
- When something is said to be the next Harry Potter. THERE IS ONLY ONE HARRY POTTER!
- Books in a series just repeat the same and the characters don’t grow. We want to see some depth and see a character learn and grow as the series goes on.
- The cliche hot boy…calling a guy hot and he has no other redeeming quality. We want to read about a guy who can do more than just look good.
- Comparisons to The Hunger Games. We love dystopian type novels but the ones compared to the Hunger Games never really live up to expectations.
QUESTION: What are some things that make you not want to read a book?