We are getting into the Christmas spirit here at Midwestern Book Nerd and have been brainstorming ways to share this love and joy with you all. How is it even possible to get all of these feelings and this cheeriness into a post!? Answer… it’s not. So instead of 1 holiday themed post we are doing 5! Every Friday throughout the month of December we will be sharing with you different things that we love about the holidays, from books to actual stories from holiday seasons.
So…let’s get this started by giving you some book titles we have enjoyed reading during the Holidays that really get us in the spirit of things!
- Little House in the Big Woods by Laura Ingalls Wilder – This is one of the first chapter books I read on my own and I always remember the Christmas scenes in this book. The simple means of Christmas back in the earlier years of America and how great Wilder describes snow and winter in the Midwest. (I think that winter is one of the prettiest times of the year!) It isn’t all about Christmas but a great classic to read at this time of the year!
- The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis – Another classic that I know most people probably read while they were in grade school. This was one of my favorite books that got me into the fantasy type world. The first time I read it and saw the play was right before Christmas, so it always makes me think of the holiday season. And the best part is that Father Christmas himself makes an appearance in the book!
- A Court of Thorns and Roses by Sarah J. Maas – Ok, so I wanted to put in a book that doesn’t really have Christmas or any type of holiday in it but was a great book to read during the winter. I love all of what Sarah J. Maas writes and I think this book was good but the second book of the series was an even better read (which normally doesn’t happen for me). The winter scenes in the beginning make you want to snuggle under a blanket and finish the book with a hot cup of cocoa or tea.
- Dash and Lily’s Book of Dares by Rachel Cohen and David Levithan – I know most of you have read this one, but if you haven’t I HIGHLY recommend it. It’s a non-cheesy Christmas book in which two teens spend their break passing a notebook back and forth and getting to know each other (starting off as almost strangers). It was unique and definitely a book I would read again.
- My True Love Gave to Me: Twelve Holiday Stories – Though I only read SOME of the stories, I love that this is a book of short stories that are all holiday themed and that I can just pick one up whenever I feel like it. There were some amazing stories in here that I just wished could have gone on forever! Definitely a fun read, and great during the busy holiday season.
- Snow Like Ashes by Sara Raasch – I always get sucked into a fantasy during this time of year, and the past few years it has been this particular series. There is nothing cozier during the running around of the holidays and the dropping temps than curling up and getting lost in another world entirely. This one just always makes me think of winter (to the point where I can’t read it during any other season).
QUESTION: What are some books you enjoy during the holiday season?