Sooooo if you know anything about me you know that I absolutely ADORE the Scarlet series by A.C. Gaughen. Seriously. Like adore. It is one of my all time favorite series as of late, which means that I am absolutely terrified to talk about it. I was fortunate enough to be able to read the ARC of the last book in the series (THANKS ANDI! This in no way reflects my opinions) and I am so confused what to do with my life now. And I have been wracking my brain about just HOW I could possibly do this book and series justice and how to talk about the third and final book without giving any sort of spoilers. I hate when that happens, and I would not want to do that to anyone that may be looking forward to this book. So instead of talking just Lion Heart I am going to give you my Top 5 reasons that I feel you should read the Scarlet series.
Here we go:
- ROBIN HOOD RETELLING: I don’t know about you but I am a sucker for Robin Hood stories. I adore the Disney movie with the foxes (and I still think that is my favorite movie version of it…mostly because I am just weird like that) and have made an effort to see and read a lot of versions of this story. I just love the story (and am apparently not alone in having a slight attraction to Robin Hood…it’s whatever). The story of the poor looking out for each other and trying to make the best out of a cruddy situation. This retelling is different, and I should warn you about that right off the bat. It is told from the perspective of the Will Scarlet character, who is actually a girl disguised as a boy. I know some people were not too big on that idea, but I loved it. Gave the story a new perspective.
- ACTION, ADVENTURE, SWOON: If you know the Robin Hood story well, which I assume most people do, then you know there is a lot of adventure and action. These books do not disappoint in that area. She definitely keeps a lot of those aspects in there, and with the added element of Will Scarlet being a girl there is a lot more going on then just the basics (because of the story behind her being disguised as a boy. GUYS I SWEAR, it’s super interesting and awesome!). There is the stealing from the rich and giving to the poor, there are some extremely evil people, and there is some of the swooniest romance I have ever read. It is not that romance that is slightly raunchy and kind of embarrasses you to be reading, but one that makes you feel it. It is an innocent love that you can almost relate to or could see yourself relating to in the future. I loved all of this.
- ROB & SCARLET & EVERYONE ELSE: Ohhhhhh Rob and Scarlet. Where do I start? Their relationship is something else, but a good something else. They aren’t perfect, and they almost acknowledge their flaws, which I love. I love how original their characters felt even though they were all borrowed from the Robin Hood story. And the chemistry between them…oh man. Rob made me love Robin Hood even more. And then there are the other minor characters. Much, John Little, Bess…and many many more. They are a family, and that was just so wonderful to see. You could sense the feeling of a family, a group of people that looks out for each other no matter what. And the evil…oh Prince John was evil. The characters were just perfect, and I loved each and every one of them (except for Prince John and other not so nice people…they do not get my love).
- ALL THE FEELINGS: This series really took a hold on me. You know those books where you get just so emotionally invested that you are feeling everything they do? Yea….this was one of those. With each book I laughed, I cried, I threw the book across the room in frustration only to run and pick it up and continue reading. It had me all over the place and I loved it. I honestly cannot put this all into words. I am sitting here flailing my arms about trying to think of just how to tell you how this series took me on THE BEST emotional roller coaster ride ever. You just are going to have to trust me on this one.
- MAY 19TH! That is when Lion Heart comes out and the ENTIRE series will be out for you to have and to read. So if you are looking to start this series now is the PERFECT time!
And here…just in case you were wondering how I felt about the final book:
Basically, I loved it. There are no words. I loved how it wrapped everything up. I loved how things fit together. I loved that it gave me all of the emotions of the other books. It left me with no unanswered questions. It was the absolute perfect conclusion to a series that I absolutely adore and I cannot wait for everyone to be able to read it!
Have you read this series? What are your opinions if you have? If you haven’t read this series…what can I do to get you to? Because I really think you should. I’ll bake you cookies 🙂