As a reader you know when you hit those quotes. Those words that you read and are shaking your head in agreement as they hit in you in some way. This week’s list is all about those quotes. My quotes…I dunno if they are necessarily inspirational, but they are things that really hit me as I was reading them. They were true to life, true to my thought process about things, and made me wish I had had these books YEARS ago when I was dealing with a wide variety of things that a lot of the books I read touch on (loss, grief, etc..). So here they are, in no particular order.
- “The important people in our lives leave imprints. They may stay or go in the physical realm, but they are always there in your heart, because they helped form your heart. There’s no getting over that.” Dash and Lily’s Book of Dares
- “Each day means a new twenty-four hours. Each day means everything’s possible again. You live in the moment, you die in the moment, you take it all one day at a time.” Legend
- “If you want to know what a man’s like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.” Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
- “So, I guess we are who we are for a lot of reasons. And maybe we’ll never know most of them. But even if we don’t have the power to choose where we come from, we can still choose where we go from there. We can still do things. And we can try to feel okay about them.” The Perks of Being a Wallflower
- “If every person in this room made it a rule that wherever you are, whenever you can, you will try to act a little kinder than is necessary – the world really would be a better place. And if you do this, if you act just a little kinder than is necessary, someone else, somewhere, someday, may recognize in you, in every single one of you, the face of God.” Wonder
- “I think there should be a rule that everyone in the world should get a standing ovation at least once in their lives.” Wonder (this book is just TOO quotable)
- “Much of my life had been devoted to trying not to cry in front of people who loved me, so I knew what Augustus was doing. You clench your teeth. You look up. You tell yourself that if they see you cry, it will hurt them, and you will be nothing but a Sadness in their lives, and you must not become a mere sadness, so you will not cry, and you say all of this to yourself while looking up at the ceiling, and then you swallow even though your throat does not want to close and you look at the person who loves you and smile.” The Fault in Our Stars
- “And that’s just it, isn’t it? That’s how we manage to survive the loss. Because love, it never dies, it never goes away, it never fades, so long as you hang on to it.” If I Stay
- “But still, I find the need to remind myself of the temporariness of a day, to reassure myself that I got through yesterday, I’ll get through today.” Where She Went
- “Do not forget in the darkness what you have been promised in the light.” Kisses from Katie: A Story of Relentless Love and Redemption (if you have not read this book I HIGHLY recommend it. It is inspiring and so very uplifting)
I love this weeks Top Ten Tuesday. I think it’s so interesting because these book quotes can tell you SO much about a person and the journey that they have been on throughout their lives until this very point, or at least…that’s how I felt when putting this list of quotes together. It was so hard to choose in some instances, and there were some that just didn’t make the cut. These quotes may be inspiring, but honestly..they made the list because of how they speak to me. All of the books are fantastic, and I highly recommend reading them if you have not.
What are some of your favorite quotes from books?
I had this song on repeat while writing this. I just felt like I should share.