Ok, so trying to pick the best books from my childhood is nearly impossible. As I look I realize that my genre tastes have not really changed at all. I also seemed to have a love of a few different series. So I may cheat a little (shocker right?) but it’s all good.
I was a pretty big bookworm as a kid. Its possible I read more then than I do now, but who knows. These are books that I remember loving and would LOVE to revist (I am thinking like from ages 7-14).
- Harry Potter series by JK Rowling– I feel like all that really needs to be said is DUH! Of course I would love to revisit those, and maybe I will sometime soon. I just love how this series that I loved so much essentially grew up as I did.
- Ella Enchanted by Gail Carson Levine– I was addicted to this book and read it many many times. I would love to read it again, and have come so very close to doing so (but I do get distracted pretty easily).
- The True Confessions of Charlotte Doyle by Avi– I read this in 6th grade with some other classmates of mine for a reading group. I loved this book. I still have fond memories of it. But I have not picked it up since then and I would love to do so.
- The Dear America Series– I ADORED THIS SERIES. I remember loving the format and just being lost in the lives of these girls as they lived through whatever moment in history they were in. Two that really stand out…West to a Land of Plenty and A Light in the Storm.
- The Princess Tales by Gail Carson Levine– I really had a thing for fairy tale retellings, and I read this series a lot. All the time. I have them and if I had a day to just sit and do whatever I honestly wouldn’t be surprised if I picked one of them up.
- Someone Like You by Sarah Dessen– I read this book multiple times. I loved it. I would love to dive into this one again. Sarah Dessen has a way of writing stories that stick with me.
- Little House series– I was in love with these. And I actually read the first one within the last 5 years when I was student teaching and it was really interesting. I picked up on a lot that I didn’t when I first read it. I would kind of love to see when else I can pick up with the rest of the series (but I don’t own them…this is a tragedy).
- The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett– Yep, I read this at a pretty young age. I adored it. And it has been so long. I would love to dive into it again. Seriously, the only thing I really remember is that there is a secret garden and that I adored it.
- Little Women by Louisa May Alcott– I read this one at a pretty young age too, or at least younger than a lot of people I know. I loved this one too. But I once again just remember the feeling of love towards it and not a lot about what it was that I loved.
- Miracles on Maple Hill by Virginia Sorenson– Another book I remember loving but I do not remember why and I want to remember why. I just remember having such a good feeling while reading this book.
I bet I could include so many, but I’m struggling to think of titles. I will remember basics of the books but then the title is lost on me and I apparently am not the greatest at searching the internet all over for that specific book. Isn’t it funny how the genre tastes that you had as a child either stick with your or COMPLETELY change? I mean I still love historical fiction, but I read way more fantasy these days. I wonder if diving back into some of these would get me back into some other genres…
What about you…any books from your childhood that you wouldn’t mind diving back into? Any of the books on my list on your list of childhood favorites?